From Monday 23 September 2019, the entire Opal network now accepts contactless payments. This means that you can pay on all buses, ferries, trams and trains using your American Express, MasterCard and Visa contactless cards in addition to your Opal card.
You will pay an Adult fare and, if you use the same credit card, debit card or linked device each time you travel, you will receive the same travel benefits of an Adult Opal card. Benefits include:
- $2 discount for every transfer between modes (train, ferry, bus or light rail) as part of one journey.
- The Opal Transfer Discount does not apply when transferring between light rail and Sydney Ferries.
- Half price travel after eight paid journeys in a week.
- Fares capped daily, weekly and on Sundays.
- 30% discount on train fares outside peak times.