Transport for NSW (TFNSW) is the lead agency in the transport portfolio in New South Wales. They are responsible for strategy, planning, policy, regulation, funding allocation and other non-service delivery functions for all modes of transport in NSW including road, rail, ferry, light rail, point to point, regional air, cycling and walking. Their role is to lead the development of a safe, efficient, integrated transport system that keeps people and goods moving, connects communities and shapes the future of our cities, centres and regions.
They are supported by a range of operating agencies and project delivery offices that help deliver services that TFNSW provides. Amongst these operating agencies there are a number of both government owned and also privately owned agencies.
- State Transit Authority – Bus services in Contract Regions 7 ,8 and 9 serving the Eastern Suburbs, Lower North Shore, Northern beaches and Riverside areas.
- Sydney Trains – Trains services in the Greater Sydney Region.
- NSW TrainLink – Coach and Train services across regional NSW, as well as interstate services to Queensland and Victoria.
Private Operators – Sydney Region
- Busabout – South-western Sydney bus services in the Campbelltown, Macarthur and Camden areas
- Busways – Outer-western Sydney bus services in the Blacktown, Richmond, Mt Druitt and Penrith areas.
- Captain Cook Cruises – HOHO ferry services.
- Fantasea Cruising – Ferries on the Pittwater.
- Forest Coach Lines – North Shore bus services in the Frenchs Forest area.
- Harbour City Ferries – Sydney Harbour ferry services.
- Hillsbus – North-western Sydney bus services in the Castle Hill, Rouse Hill, Dural and Baulkham Hills areas.
- Interline – South-western Sydney bus services in the Liverpool, Glenfield and Campbelltown areas.
- Manly Fast Ferry – Ferry Services between Manly and major Sydney Harbour destinations.
- Punchbowl Bus Co – South-western Sydney bus services in the Bankstown, Roselands and Hurstville areas.
- Transdev NSW – South-western Sydney and Sutherland Shire bus operator with services in the Bankstown, Liverpool, Parramatta, Strathfield, Chester Hill, Hurstville, Liverpool, Miranda and Granville areas. Upper North Shore bus services in the Berowra, Hornsby and Gordon areas. Inner west light rail services.
- Transit Systems – Bus operator in the Inner West and Western Suburbs of Sydney in areas including Burwood, Kingsgrove, Leichhardt, Liverpool, Prariewood and Rockdale areas.