As part of the Sydney Metro City and Southwest project, major construction work will be carried out at Central station. This work will begin in August 2018 and is expected to be completed in late 2022 ahed of the planned 2024 opening for the new line.
- Excavation and construction of the new underground Sydney Metro platforms at Central beneath platforms 13, 14 and 15
- Central Walk – a 19-metre wide underground concourse from a new entrance on Chalmers Street, connecting customers to suburban rail platforms, Sydney Metro platforms, the new light rail and buses
- An upgraded north concourse with transformed pedestrian thoroughfares and feature roof.
The key features and benefits of this work include;
- New underground Sydney Metro platforms, with platform screen doors to keep people and objects away from the tracks and allow trains to arrive and depart from the station faster
- Easy interchange with suburban and intercity trains, buses and light rail
- New underground pedestrian connections
- Customers can use escalators to get to platforms 12 to 23 for the first time
- New signs throughout the station to make it easier to get around.
Central Station Metro work will result in temporary changes to customer access around the station at different times. The project team will work closely with Sydney Trains and NSW TrainLink to minimise disruption, and provide advanced notice and information about how to get around to customers throughout construction.
To safely complete construction activities in and near the rail corridor, work will be undertaken on the track during scheduled Sydney Trains rail closures. This ensures worker and customer safety, and allows for work on the track and platforms without disrupting trains.