Customers travelling to and from Western Sydney and the Inner West can look forward to a boost of more than 300 extra weekly train services and better connections when the new train timetable is introduced later this year.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance today announced key improvements to both the T1 Western Line and T2 Inner West Line.
“This is a massive win for Western Sydney,” Ms Berejiklian said. “We are making it more convenient for customers to travel between Western Sydney, the Inner West and Sydney’s CBD.”
“By simplifying and modernising parts of the network we are able to achieve far better services for customers.”
Key improvements to the Sydney Trains network include:
- More than 250 express trains every week between Parramatta and the Sydney CBD, including 20 express trains during peak hours.
- A new direct link between the Inner West and Parramatta on the T2 Line on weekdays for the first time.
- T2 Inner West customers travelling to and from Sydney’s CBD will see peak services boosted from 15 minutes up to every 6 minutes at many stations.
“We know that customers travelling longer distances want faster services and those closer in want to just turn up and go – we can achieve this,” Mr Constance said.
“These are the some of the busiest lines on the network. By simplifying the way the lines operate it will create additional capacity and reliability for customers.
“Today, we also unveil a refreshed network map so customers can begin to understand the changes ahead. They include the T2 Line extending to Parramatta and also to Leppington in the South-West. We’re also extending services on the T5 Line to Leppington and Richmond, along with re-badging the Airport Line to the T8 to distinguish this popular service for tourists and visitors,” Mr Constance said.
“With total rail trips to and from Western Sydney set to grow by 20 per cent by the early 2020s, it’s critical we get on with it and act now.”
Other key changes for T1 Western Line and T2 Inner West customers include:
- Harris Park, Granville, Clyde, Auburn, and Lidcombe will be served by T2 Inner West services during some periods of the day. Customers will have direct access to Parramatta as they do today, and receive a similar frequency of service to the Sydney CBD in the AM Peak, now via the T2 Inner West.
- Burwood will receive more services via the T2 Inner West, with direct access to Parramatta and,
- Late night services to and from the Sydney CBD to Penrith will be doubled on the T1 Western Line. To deliver this increase, some Richmond customers will need to change trains at Parramatta.