From July 3 2017, Opal fares will increase in line with inflation. It is understood that this will now be a yearly increase and not a one off.
This is a change to the previous fare freeze related to Opal fares and also a rejection of Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal’s suggested average annual increase of 4.2 per cent.
- Limited 2.4 per cent CPI only increase to Opal fares from July 3
- Gold Opal remains at $2.50 all day travel
- Popular ‘Transfer Discount’ to remain
Sample CPI Changes.
- A train fare from Penrith to Town Hall during peak hour will increase from $6.46 to $6.61
- A bus fare from Blacktown to Baulkham will increase from $4.50 to $4.61
- A ferry fare from Manly to Circular Quay will increase from $7.18 to $7.35
- A light rail fare from Dulwich Hill to The Star will increase from $3.50 to $3.58